Saturday, July 14, 2012

My vegan challenge – Week Two

G’day Vegan-curious’ and RSPCA lovers,

Well, week two is now over so I’m half way through my challenge! Yay for me!

I’ve also hit the half-way mark on my goal of raising $1,000.00 for RSPCA QLD, which I’m stoked about. People have been so generous – I’m really grateful for the support of me and my personal challenge, but more so their willingness to support such a great charity. Well done team :)

This week, people have been less aggressive in their enquiries regarding my health, and I’ve had far more encouraging words of support from friends, family and colleagues…mixed with the occasional passing grimace.

FAQs from this week:

How’s your health?/Aren’t you dead yet?
Very well, thank you for your concern. I’m still feeling healthy and good. My weight has remained the same since losing 3 kilos in the first week, which was to be expected. My indulgences have been potato chips and I’m eating a fair bit of bread so I’m remaining nice and plump.

I am breaking out – my skin is doing all sorts of interesting things, due to the toxins ridding my body, so that’s all good. I’m sure it will pass soon.

With the upping of lentils and legumes in my diet, I’m finding my digestion is running really well – I used to have the occasional stomach pain, bloating, other issues with bowel movements I don’t need to go into..and I have not had any of those occurrences in the last fortnight.

Now with the image of my bowel movements in your head (you’re welcome), let’s quickly move on.

My energy levels are better than I can ever remember. Being something I’ve always struggled with, that is huge for me.

Is it hard to eat out?
Not…really. I had my first test on Friday when a morning tea was held at work. Sandwiches, cakes, quiches…all looked yum. To make things that little more cruel, our boss had the catering done by Sassafras – one my favourite places to eat – who do all organic food. Normally I’d even be smashing the chicken sandwiches guilt free (I often avoid chicken from establishments unless they guarantee it is organic. I eat most chicken at home and purchase my meat from the Meat-ing Place or Wray Organics to get this guarantee for myself) but there wasn’t a single thing on the table that didn’t have butter, milk or eggs in it. Poor me. Moving on…

Not…really. Living in Brisbane is probably one challenge for a vegan (and I’d love to hear from Brisbane-dwelling vegans on their favourite places to eat).

You can’t go into a pub for example and have any vegan option available other than hot chips. That was the case when I was vegetarian also – only my options were stretched as far and wide as wedges and sour cream, and in really posh places, perhaps a cheese plate. That’s just lazy-chef-syndrome as far as I’m concerned.

It further highlights my concern that we are over producing animals on superfluously large scales just because the mainstream is of the mind that meat and dairy has to be on every item on the menu. The mass-production of animals and animal products that contribute to many of our increasingly critical environmental and health problems, come down to this. And the only thing that will curb it is people power. Eating establishments, supermarkets and food producers wont make a shift unless the customer demands it. End lecture.

Not…really. I’ve eaten out three times this week. I’ve basically found my hippie-vegan heaven in Govinda’s in Elizabeth Street. I go to Atma yoga at lunch time and get a free vegan lunch at Govindas afterwards! Score! Doesn’t get better than that. And let me tell you – non-vegans dig this lunch. It’s plentiful, tasty and cheap. Yum yum.

I was also taken to the Tibetan Kitchen on a dinner date last night, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

I’ve been given some tips for some great places in West End, which I’ll head to soon.

Is it hard to keep up?/Are you missing anything?
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t missing cheese. Infact, I’ve realised how much I actually eat! But all that means for me is I’m losing a bit of excess dairy fat and I will enjoy it so much more when I go back to it for a cheeky indulgence rather than chowing down on it like my life depends on it every other night. I was a bit gross, now I think about it.

When I get hungry I have had the occasional craving but as long as I keep a snack nearby I’m ok on that front. Once I’ve actually eaten a bit I’m over it. The only thing I really miss eating is fish.

What are you eating?
I’ve only referred to the vegan cookbook once and that was to make some quinoa and lentil burgers one night – they rocked. Everything else has been my recipe.

Week Two dinner menu
Monday: Roasted vegetable pasta + garlic bread














Tuesday: Pan fried tempeh w vegan potato salad, almond beans, roasted pumpkin & minted beetroot + bruschetta














Wednesday: Quinoa & lentil burgers w paw paw salsa
(Recipe courtesy 500 Vegan Dishes book)














Thursday: Creamy vegetable pie














Friday: Tibetan Kitchen

Saturday: Vegan pizza (haven't made it yet...but here's my antipasti starter:)














Week two wrap up
I like the way veganism makes me feel. I’m also more motivated by knowing I’m raising money for charity. It’s keeping me honest! But I’m looking forward to nailing some fish and chips at the end of the month :)

This week’s top donation was made by none other than my lovverrrr. Top bloke. He was true to his word and donated more than $3.00 in order to claim a tax deduction, and more than $100 so Corey didn’t make him look like a louse. Swooooon.

If you would like to support the RSPCA QLD, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment